Tools for Authors: How to understand a publishing contract
- You just finished writing your novel, your essay, your memoirs. Or anything good.
- You are so euphoric because a publishing house wants your text?
- It vows to « take care of all »
- You will be able to – AT LAST – take a rest and harvest the fruits of your hard work.
- Champagne! You deserve to celebrate...
- You only have to sign the papers, below, on the right hand. Easy!
- ...But STOP!!!
ATTENTION. A publishing or editing contract is a very special literature that binds you in time and space... and your author's dream can quickly turn into nightmare if you do not detect in due time possible traps!
- Do you think that a contract is unreadable for the man in the street?
- Do you run to the next lawyer to « digest » it and « translate » it in common english?
Think again, it is perfectly possible to understand a contract, to reduce costs and potential risks during the execution of a contract, by understanding the points of vigilance of a publishing contrct.
Who are we?
We are authors and have published dozens of ebooks. Having both a higher education in law school, our experience has led us to deal with many contractual documents. Olivier had to draft, negotiate, review and implement many contracts: drug trials, cultural institutions abroad, commercial companies. Professor in higher education, he practices daily « legal education ». Cristina was director of a publishing house and knows the constraints of this often difficult world and also did a lot of legal work.
So we know the problem « from both sides of the fence » and would like you to understand that it is quite possible and realistic to hold together an effective partnership with your publishing house.
So, for a cordial and profitable cooperation with the publishing house, we want to share this useful information, from our experience, with you
What will you find in this practical eguide « How to understand a publishing contract »?
- 23 sections organized in 6 parts
- What is a contract?
- Publishing contracts
- Others points of vigilance
- Negotiations or talks
- Execution of a publishing contract
- Ending a publishing contract
- 120+ pages of useful info
- advice and examples to understand
Do not be afraid of publishing contracts anymore, decrypt them and develop a cordial and profitable collaboration with your publishing house!
Are you ready?
Cristina & Olivier Rebiere
- OverDrive Read 2.4 MB
- Adobe EPUB eBook 2.4 MB