The Development Manager’s responsibilities include managing and coordinating the resources and processes to deliver software releases of OverDrive solutions, while helping to define the vision, definition, and strategy. The Development Manager delivers against the offering roadmap based on direction provided by the Director of Software Development, CTO and/or other OverDrive team members. Job responsibilities include project/process leadership, technology research, team development, and cross-functional coordination.
- Manage the team, which includes but is not limited to: delegating and prioritizing work, hiring new team members, training, developing, and coaching, as well as drafting and delivering performance reviews.
- Work closely with the team leads, Director of Software Development, and CTO to plan and execute projects, ensure that teams have appropriate product and technical specifications, direction, and resources to deliver solutions effectively by establishing realistic estimates for timelines while ensuring that projects deliver high quality results which address the needs of the business.
- Serve as the iteration manager for 1 or more teams using an iterative development process. Effectively communicate project plans, project progress, time estimates, schedules and tasks to support the development process, and provide reports, presentations and demonstrations to all levels of management as needed.
- Adjust and refine the SDLC process to fit the needs of the project and team, allowing for the most efficient use of time and resources, while still providing the necessary tracking data and quality for each project.
- Help resolve technical and human resource issues within the team, while monitoring individual performance, understanding career goals, and aligning individuals/teams for success.
- Drive system design and development discussions – through personal experience and ongoing research – to make sure the team is appraising options and selecting the best fit for each initiative.
- Lead development team daily standup meetings, iteration planning, project honing, and retrospective meetings.
- Encourage collaboration, self-organization and decentralized decision making within teams, but acts as an escalation point when consensus decisions cannot be reached.
- 7 + years of related experience (technical knowledge, general programming, etc.), with 3+ years management experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Leadership skills, ability to effectively manage others.
- Problem solving skills with the ability to understand and communicate specifics of new technologies
- Able to define and drive development of solutions to meet the needs of the company.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple projects considering company priorities.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to communicate cross-functionally.
- Experience operating in an Agile / Scrum / Lean / Iterative software development environment. Committed to continuously improving software development processes.
- Strong project management skills including the handling and coordination of the design, development, release, and support cycles of enterprise software initiatives.
- Ability to work with technical and non-technical business owners to communicate needs, status, and drive results.
- Use sound decision making to determine which technologies to use in which situations, considering cost and maintainability.
- Understands market and technology trends.
- Able to align development strategy with product plans built directly from product owner and/or customer input.
- Able to effectively manage, coach and develop a productive team.
- Able to develop stable systems that meet or exceed requirements and require little or no maintenance.
- Effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions.
- Cross-train staff to be productive on a variety of projects through pair programming, technical documentation, and internal team training events.
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.